Gothenburg, Day 4

7:06 CET and it's a rainy day in G'borg. I'm taking the camera to the office but I don't know if I'll be able to get decent pix. More later.

Update: here's a shot of the skyline from the hotel window.



A word about breakfasts: the term "Continental breakfast" as used by US hotels/motels for what they serve as a "free" breakfast is about as far removed from reality (at least what I've experienced in Sweden) as is The One's grasp of basic economics....

The breakfast buffet in the hotel consists of:
hard boiled eggs; soft boiled eggs; bacon (undercooked to US standards); scrambled eggs (and I'm not sure what they do to them but they are unlike any scrambled eggs that I've ever seen...and not in a good way); fruit (apples, bananas, sliced melon, prunes, grapes); several different kinds of rolls and two or three loaves of bread that you slice yourself; sliced turkey; sliced ham; liver pate; sliced tomatoes; sliced cucumbers; sliced red pepper; brie; cheese; tureens of yogart that you ladle into a bowl and then (if desired) anoint with various things (muesli, bran flakes, corn flakes, nuts, dried apricots); coffee (strong!!); various kinds of tea and juices (apple, grapefruit, orange, tomato).

In short, you can hurt yourself if you have a mind to!

Update: The rain stopped and the sun came out. Here are a few shots that I got on the way back to the hotel. And no I wasn't driving...

The BASF building. Or as I've always heard it called, the "Lipstick" building.



The mall (Nordstan Shopping mall). It's supposed to be the largest in Sweden. Most of what you're seeing is parking deck. The mall itself is not that big compared to almost any American mall.



The Hotel Royal near the city Central Station.



And now let me scare the hell out of you. The numbers in the picture are Kronor/liter....which works out to $5.12/gal. for diesel and $5.57/gal for gasoline at an exchange rate of 1 USD = 7.97305 SEK.



Dinner tonight was Wasa crackers w/liver paste and Wasa crackers w/Laughing Cow cheese and an apple. This was after I stumbled onto an Aussie pub (The Dancing Dingo, owned by an Aussie) whilst on walkabout and had a glass of something that I've forgotten the name of (Edit: Spitfire), but it was good beer! Also some good conversation with the barkeep whilst I was drinking it.

Comments

Wayne said…
I like my bacon "limp", so I would probably be happy with what they serve there. The whole thing sounds good, except maybe for those scrambled eggs.
Anonymous said…
I wasn't in the military so I don't know first hand what the "instant eggs" were like. But that's the image I get every time I try to eat the scrambled eggs. Also there is a difference between "limp" and "half cooked"....
Chase said…
Nice commentary!

Limp bacon? Ewww.
I'll take mine xtra CRISPy, thankyou.
I've had my share of Gov't surplus "eggs from a carton". Runny as hell but you get used to it. Enough salt & pepper and they will start to taste like food.

I've seen the Continental breakfast in some places consist of your choice of 2 cereals - and yet in other places it's a decent spread of food. Funny!
Anonymous said…
Thanks Chase! I appreciate it.

The eggs (scrambled is the only term I can think of to describe them but they are nothing like 'Merican scrambled eggs) have a grainy texture to them; unlike any other kind of eggs I've ever eaten. But it was the same way 10 years ago on my last trip over so it must be something Swedish or Continental at least.

Popular posts from this blog

A quandary