How we got here

ED: The origin of The Chase Lounge: From comments on E!3

Under another name, I had run a small blog for short while several years ago. Even got a few links via Frank in my hayday. (thanks!) Anyway, I laughed at the death-threats until I got a nasty letter in my mailbox. Not a virtual mailbox, but my HOME mailbox - with no postage on it, no return address. The State Police were polite and considerate, but there really wasn't a whole lot they could do. Anyway, that's when I killed my short lived blog (RIP). My point is I fully understand the need to feel annonymous - but at the same time, these Comments are nothing but that, until you have some real skin in the game. And this has nothing to do with revealing your real name (I lost all feeling of safety, and almost my sanity-all without ever even giving out my Christian name). What we all seem to have in common, besides a devotion to E!3, is a need to do SOMETHING. To carry these beliefs into one's real life, outside the safty of the virtual world and into the real one. Take these beliefs and morals with you, share them with friends and family. And the next time some smelly dreadlocked moonbat calls Your President a warlord, don't just shrug it off. Hold your nose, hide your daughters, and hit 'em upside the head with a clue-bat!
Posted by: Chase | May 16, 2007 8:01 PM

Chase,
Where have you been, dude?
Not that I know you, or of you, but with that one post you are a kindred spirit.
Welcome to the fray.
Posted by: daddyquatro | May 16, 2007 8:29 PM

Chase, Just one question: What does the hairstyle of your "smelly … moonbat" who insults your President, have to do with your point?
When coupled together with your "hide your daughters, and hit 'em upside the head..." choice of wording, I think you should consider adding additional time during the Preview phase of your posting process.
Posted by: Unquiet Mind | May 16, 2007 8:29 PM

Unquiet,
R-E-S-P-E-C-T.
Granted that the wording may have been un-PC.
I think that's the point here. It's the dude's first post. Chill. And a Cluebat doesn't leave scars. Unless you don't have one.
DCMS.TAMN.
Posted by: daddyquatro | May 16, 2007 8:45 PM
It wasn’t his first post: ED

Daddyquatro,
Thank you for the kind words. I�m a longtime reader, fairly new to posting here.
Unquiet Mind,
I was just describing a few folks I have run into in the NYC / North Jersey area - and sometimes find myself engaged (and enraged) while conversing with them. If �dreadlocked� offends you, then I apologize.
According to Urban Dictionary: Cluebat. A metaphorical bat used to 'beat some sense into' someone who is blatantly stupid.
I am not condoning actual physical violence against people with beliefs other than mine. Though I’ve seen and felt the blind hatred in some, while being pelted by their Peace Sign buttons. There has never been a more Ironic moment in my life than that.
Posted by: Chase | May 16, 2007 9:46 PM

Chase,
You do need to use preview because Word puts those funky characters in the place of punctuation marks. At least it does in IE:
cringing ..
I have to;
It's the company standard and the kids never let me get on to my home PC.
Anyone who doesn't know what a cluebat is by now needs to be smacked by one.
Posted by: daddyquatro | May 16, 2007 10:05 PM

daddyquatro,
Point taken. Thank you:)
Posted by: Chase | May 16, 2007 10:16 PM

Chase, daddyquatro,
Can I invite you guys out of the Ejectica Forum and buy you a beer? (or the drink of your choice) There has to be a good pub around here somewhere. Is that one materializing out of my imagination just down there at the corner Forum St. and 1st? Ah, Forum Street Pub, just what I was looking for. And, what do you know? They have my favorite beer, Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale, on tap. I've never found it on tap. Who'ed of thunk it? I love this town.
First, I apologize for jumping before I thought last night. I should have followed my own advice and previewed. In my mind, there was a "Please" and a "Sir" in there somewhere.
Second, I was composing the story below to follow up and soften my comment. But daddy duties called and by the time I got back it was getting late here on the East coast. When I checked in there was talk of clue-bat ignorant trolls roaming the forum. I was very afraid. Then I realized it was me. Damm, I hate it when I do that.
Damm again. With Dougman retired, this one is actually my fault.
I have told this story many times, so there are a few versions, but I'll try to stick to the short one.
Over a bunch of beers one time, 25 year ago, I promised a black guy with dreadlocks I had never met before and have never met since, I would not sit quietly and let anybody make irrational insults about blacks in front of me. He promised to do the same on his end. I have no idea if he kept up his side of the bargain, I have.
This single decision has turned out to be a very positive thing in my life and has led me to take time and help people in situations I don't think I would have otherwise.
Not once, in 25 years, have I had a single really bad experience. It has led to some awkward moments as I clearly stated my position on the n-word in some crowds (and even with my 96 year old grandmother). I always try to do it with respect, reason and humor. I failed at that last night.
Chase, My objection was to the "dreadlocks" coupled with the "hide your daughters". The " and hit 'em upside the head with a clue-bat!" part had nothing to do with it. In fact as I go back and read your post I find your emphasis on " a need to do SOMETHING" drives you to apply your clue-bat in the same spirit I am acting on.
This single decision has led me to do some thing that have made me feel very good, even noble. As time has gone by, my original narrow focus has expanded.
On 9\11 as I drove up North Capital Street away from the Capitol Building, I stopped and picked up a young black guy cussing at his cell phone as he ran north. He was panicked because he and his family had come in on the train and Union Station was overwhelmed. I ended picking up his grandmother and his and his sister's kids, packing them all in my car and dropping them off up at their car at a train station near Baltimore. I went to a ball game with him and his grandfather a few summers ago. WWII vet who has lived in Baltimore his whole life. That old man has lived it.
All of this would never would have happened if not for a few beers 25 years ago. ;-)
Posted by: Unquiet Mind | May 17, 2007 11:16 PM

Unquiet,
Second round's on me. As a Texan, I recommend Shiner Blonde. Also damn near impossible to find on tap.
Posted by: daddyquatro | May 18, 2007 6:21 AM

Unquiet and daddyquatro,
3rd round is on me! My "dreadlock" comment had NOTHING to do with black/white. (Actually, it was a smelly white dude throwing the Peace buttons). Now that I look back at my post, I see where I went wrong. CHEERS!
Posted by: Chase | May 18, 2007 2:01 PM

Chase, daddyquatro, I have put down many Shiner Boks in my time. I have two skiing buddies from Texas (originally) who won't go back to Utah because they could not find Shiner. I'll have to try the Blond.

Posted by: Unquiet Mind | May 18, 2007 2:24 PM

All this talk of sipping brew is making me thirsty! Is there any property in Ejectia up for sale yet? Perhaps I could build a Bar/Pub? I would call it...... "The Chase Lounge" - but that would just be my id getting in the way again. Beer and Spirits reasonably priced. And for my Mormon friends; 7-up is free on Sunday, but you'll have to pour it yourself:)
Everyone remember to tip your waitress! I pay them peanuts, you know.
Unsalted.
Posted by: Chase | May 18, 2007 9:15 PM

The Chase Lounge.
Cool! I could kick there for a while. So, Unquiet has Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale, I've got Shiner Blonde, what's your drink of choice?
By the way, Mormans can't pour on Sunday. They pour on Saturday so it's already done.
(Former LDS here, before I p**s anybody off)
Nuthin' but love for the Mormans, but sometimes I like to take the kids to McDonald's on Sunday.
Posted by: daddyquatro | May 18, 2007 9:45 PM

daddyquatro,
Oh, I see. We'll keep it cool for them, though.
btw - I'm a nice guy. I drink Lite beer from Miller.
Posted by: Chase | May 18, 2007 9:56 PM

Guinness.
..assuming I'm invited.
- MuscleDaddy
Posted by: MuscleDaddy | May 18, 2007 9:56 PM

MuscleDaddy,
It would be an honor.
Posted by: Chase | May 18, 2007 10:03 PM

MuscleDaddy,
Pull up a chair.
Truth be told, I usually drink the champange of beers myself. Just not the lite version.
Damn, it's gettin' crowded in here.
Chase, can we get a party room?
Posted by: daddyquatro | May 18, 2007 10:07 PM

This joint got a jukebox?
Been a hell of a day - I'm gonna throw down the first pint quick & nurse the next one.
Some Nora Jones would go good right now...
Posted by: MuscleDaddy | May 18, 2007 10:16 PM

Sure!
Billiard tables are on back-order, though.
Sorry:(
Posted by: Chase | May 18, 2007 10:17 PM

One of you order me a Pacifico? Ok if I join if I rack up the first juke plays? Nora Jones, got it, I want some Etta, what else would anyone like? BTW, what's a Guiness like, is it supposed to be warm or what is the whole ale attraction thing-y?
Posted by: alexa kim | May 18, 2007 10:37 PM

Dinna blaspheme, Lass!
Guinness is to be served ice cold - the brits drink warm as an expedient way of maintainin' their dour expressions!
- MuscleDaddy
Posted by: MuscleDaddy | May 18, 2007 10:47 PM

You can share the Pacifico- I'll be first in line.
My usual drink of choice is a whiskey sour, but I'll take that happily instead.
Nora Jones is just fine.
How 'bout Koko Taylor?
Posted by: LabRat | May 18, 2007 10:59 PM

Damn,
Went to the john and missed the party!
Posted by: Daddyquatro | May 18, 2007 11:28 PM

Nice crowd you have here at The Chase Lounge, Sir.
(or should I say had last night while I was sleeping.)
BTW, Mil lite is my regular beer, but one nice thing about Electia is the everything, even the really good stuff, is calorie free. And, time doesn't really seem to matter so much either. Or at least it appears to s t r e a c h as required to accommodate our communication media, time zones, daddy\mommy duties, etc.
If you all would like to take a look: I built out the pool room last night and got some nice 9 foot, single piece 1 inch slate, drop pockets tables from Chesapeake Bay Pool Supplies. No hulky delivery men required; I carried them in myself, two at a time. Somebody else will have to finish off the decor.

I don't need no stinking 3-D graphics. I have my imagination. ;-)
I'll have a Guinness now, if you don't mind Sir Chase.
Raising my family in a small town (or it used to be) as far from where I work in downtown D.C. as I can stand to commute.
"All In"
Posted by: Unquiet Mind | May 19, 2007 4:10 AM

Unquiet
Good on ya, mate!
Now, rack 'em up.
Posted by: daddyquatro | May 19, 2007 10:00 AM

Wow! This Lounge thing has really taken on a life of it's own! So much in fact, I now realize what STUPID name it has! Needs a new one! Something more...Ejectia-like.
Posted by: Chase | May 19, 2007 1:14 PM

Chase Lounge is perfection.
Posted by: Otto Gass | May 19, 2007 3:47 PM

Wouldn't change a thing... Well,
The party hat on the stuffed deer head...
It's been done.
Posted by: daddyquatro | May 19, 2007 4:00 PM

Done for the day and it is definitely beer o' clock. My body has sent me a very curt note about the day's activities and it's time to apply liquid muscle relaxant.
While somewhat extemporaneous, Chase Lounge does have the advantage of being a pun...
I like puns.
Posted by: LabRat | May 19, 2007 4:50 PM

LabRat,
Two beers,
Or not Two beers.
What was the question?
Posted by: daddyquatro | May 19, 2007 5:01 PM

Just popping my head into Bill's Chase Lounge, (The Logo is perfect for this) on my way to marriage counseling with DR. Change-scriptureto-whatever makes-me-$.
Patience Doug, Patience.
Posted by: Dougman | May 19, 2007 6:18 PM

daddyquatro,
How about a stuffed Jackalope? Anyone got a stuffed Jackalope?
Labrat,
exta-tempa-whatever right back at you! You calling me sporadic?
Ooh, shiny object! Gotta go now! Bye!
Posted by: Chase | May 19, 2007 7:48 PM

You, sir, are bicrural.
Nothing more and nothing less.
Posted by: LabRat | May 19, 2007 9:11 PM

Paul A,
...Stands ...Clapping.
Bravo!
Where you been, man?
Come on over to Chase's. I'll buy you a beer.
I think you're absolutely right. Now is the time for strategy; tactics come later.
Posted by: daddyquatro | May 19, 2007 8:01 PM

For daddyquatro and unquiet mind, both... Gracious thanks for your most kind remarks. That was my first "somewhat sustantive" post anywhere, anytime, on this incredible forum. I am in your debt for the gentleness. Were I still imbibing alcohol, I'd be most happy to join you anywhere, and tip a quaff or two, if it didn't involve some 24-30 hours of travel time to get there. A non-fermented cider for me, perhaps? MMMmmmmmmm....

Posted by: Paul A. | May 19, 2007 11:24 PM

Paul A,
Sustantive isn't a word, but it ought to be; meaning something which sustains.
In which case that was no typo.
The Chase Lounge is located right off Ejectia town square. However, due to an unfortunate circumstance, the front window has a stunning view of the butt of the Dougman statue. I'll have to check with the management on his non-alcoholic offerings. I know he has free 7-up on Sunday.
Posted by: daddyquatro | May 20, 2007 8:13 AM

Comments

Unquiet said…
I love that story. Of course, like everything, it had more drama live.
Anonymous said…
That's what it's like when the Spirit is alive.
Beyond the imaginable
MuscleDaddy said…
That one made me laugh - crap, it feels like years ago.

Thanks for bringing it back.

- MuscleDaddy

Popular posts from this blog